For this past week I have been completely addicted to Katy Perry’s
new song Wide Awake. I'm not a huge fan of Katy Perry although I do love her songs.
In my opinion Wide Awake portrays her past struggle to make it to Hollywood and
how if she had known then what she was in for now then she should not have
taken that route... "I wish I knew then what I know now". The way in
which all of the pressure she is under by the media to be perfect, unable to
just leave her home with minimal makeup and in just a casual t-shirt and jeans
because she’s in fear of being snapped by the paparazzi and being scrutinised
because of it. (What I thought from 2:17 – 2:32 of her music video).
I also think she's expressing her feelings towards the music
industry, how they made her feel so special at first but have just left her 'on
the concrete'. Also, how everything that we see about her life is not always
what it seems, as we probably perceive her as a super rich, beautiful and famous
woman living the dream, when in fact she doesn’t feel that way at all. Compared
to her other energetic and vibrant music videos like California Girls and Last
Friday Night this one seems much darker. Especially the scene where she’s being
pushed in a wheelchair by a girl named Katheryn portraying young Katy Perry
down a bleak corridor resembling one of a mental asylum. Katy looks dissociated
and as she reaches halfway down the corridor she is obstructed by two sinister
looking guards. To me this part of the video depicts the way that she feels
disconnected from reality almost like a limp and lifeless doll. (What I thought
from 2:35 – 2:55 of her music video).
In my opinion the last part of the video depicts her
innocent younger self/mind saving her and reminding her that she can be strong
and fight through the tough times. (2:56 - 3:44) On the whole this is genuinely one of my
favourite songs by Katy Perry. I find the video enchanting, captivating and
fairy-tale like.
Here's the link to 'Katy Perry - Wide awake' below! Leave me a comment and tell me what you think!
No comments:
Post a Comment